Thursday, February 4, 2016

Paradise Fought: Abel (Paradise #1) ~ L.B. Dunbar



 photo Blurb Black Scratch_zpsljbvqx5c.png

I'm not a fighter.
I was born into a fighting family. As the middle child, I was overlooked in favor of my older brother.

He took the negative attention, too. In comparison, there's nothing special about me.

I’m not as big as Cobra. I’m not as strong as Cobra. He's the alpha.

I'm a beta. 

The second son.

The lesser one. 

The one never encouraged to fight, never encouraged to do anything, but stay out of my father’s way.
I'm not a lover either - but I wished to be – that’s why I needed her.

I met a girl in the pouring rain. 

Sounds cliché, but it's true. It changed everything.

Because of love, I learned to fight.


Betas come second, but in this fight, my story is first.



 photo Review Black Scratch_zpspsc2gzcp.png
 photo silver 4.5 stars_zpsaodvwec6.png
Gah! Abel was the quiet one, the second son, the one never noticed. It broke my heart that all he ever wanted was Elma, but she couldn’t see what was right in front of her. Such a gorgeous and selfless man, yet he was a disgrace to his father and a geek in Elma’s eyes.

Elma was completely consumed with her brother’s death and the situation that she fell into after all his gambling and debt was brought to light. Her mother completely fell off the deep end and basically left Elma to fend for herself. As strong as Elma was to keep going, she was also very selfish. I often found myself yelling at the book to open her eyes and realize that Abel loved her. But she only worried about how she could get revenge and who she had to use to get there. By the time she realizes she truly has feelings for Abel, he learns of her plan and it rocks the “deal” that they made.

 photo MMA Fighting_zpslkphwcbh.gif

Abel is a fighter. Just like the Betta fish. He’s constantly feeling he has to prove himself to his father and try to get out of his brother’s shadow. He is fixated on Elma and when the opportunity to help her, in exchange for getting close to her, comes up, he jumps at it. He keeps trying to get her to notice him, but she only has eyes for Thor…. At least that’s what he thinks until he learns of her true plans. Those plans gut Abel and make him feel exactly how every other person in his life has made him feel, unloved.


I was rooting for Abel to get all he desired. I love the quiet, shy geek he was, and I wanted him to beat his brother, prove himself to his father and get the girl. Not too much to ask, right? Even after being chastised and shunned by his father, he still wanted his approval and love. He kept trying to be with Elma and tried to make her see him. He never gave up. He continued to fight and I loved that about his character. The angst and sexual tension between Elma and Abel was super-hot and their love scenes…..explosive. I could not get enough of this story and I cannot wait to hear Cain’s side next. 

"Fight. For Love. Betta"









No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...